Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reviewing and taking to heart the article "Making Memories" from Disability Is Natural Website

I don't know about you, but I love to collect things on my desktop. My husband is bothered by this every time he has to use my laptop. My virtual "messy desk" is distracting to him :) Since it's the complete opposite of my physical desk I think it causes him some cognitive dissonance. However there is a method to my madness, at least that's what the voices in my head are telling me.

One of the items on my desktop was an article I had read, and loved, from Disability Is Natural. The article came from their December, 2010 newsletter, and it is titled "Making Memories". This article really resonated with me when I first read it, and even now as I re-read it. A few years back, I worried that Ellie's only "friends" would be her therapists. At the time she had therapy 4 days a week. I was depressed as I figured that her memories of her childhood would be about therapy, and not play dates, soccer, swimming lessons, baseball, gymnastics, and all the other fun things growing kids need to experience. This article discusses those concerns and how to avoid them. The author addresses the role that care givers have in helping to create positive memories for children and adults with special needs. It is well-worth the read, and the re-read!

It must have been seeping into my head while it sat on my desktop. It became apparent the other day when I realized that Ellie was starting to have some wonderful "typical child" activities, and ultimately, memories. First off, she has a neighbor friend who enjoys playing all sorts of childhood favorites with Ellie: bubbles, baseball, digging in the sandbox, and so on. The first place she heads when we go outside is to her friend RJ's house. She also walked home one day last week with a classmate to play after school.

Over a year ago therapy was replaced with Special Olympics. Ellie has made some wonderful friends there. Since last fall she has also taken Kids Zumba. If only every day could be "dancing day". It warms my heart to see the other children call to her when she walks in the room! Great memories for her, and them. Now she is adding parks and rec soccer to her calendar, as well as Challenger Baseball. So just like her brother, she gets to experience all the different sports out there to see which one fits her likes and personality. And while she does that she is making the great memories of participating equal to her abilities. It warms me from the inside out to see the memories she is making, and how her joy creates great memories in the people around her. These memories are invaluable. I remember that before Ellie was born, I didn't have a very positive view of the opportunities for and/or abilities of people with Down Syndrome. My limited experience with people with DS had led to these negative memories. Ellie's positive interactions with so many in her community create for all of those people positive memories of the capabilities and attitude of Ellie, and in turn, of people with Down Syndrome. Since our memories help to shape how we view the future - It's a win-win-win!

2 comments:

  1. I believe her life will also help people to find the positive in everyone. Even that person you don't see eye to eye with has something to offer the world. We need only to recognize that we are all different - and that's the way it should be, that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are right, and if so, we need more like Ellie to reach the world. You hit the nail on the head - we all have something to offer the world and our differences are a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete